Behind the Beauty of Everhart Park
The organization behind the scenes
Everhart Park is one of West Chester’s most beloved and beautiful parks. In the borough’s backyard, it brings beauty to our town and a place for families to play. But, you may not realize just how much goes on behind the scenes to make this park the place it is.
Unfortunately, there is only so much in the Borough’s budget that can be allocated to bettering our parks. They do as much as they can, including trash pick up, mowing the lawn and cleaning the bathrooms, but the group known as Friends of Everhart Park does everything else to make the park look as beautiful as it can be.
Goals and Mission of Everhart Park
As seen on their website, Friends of Everhart Park are on a mission to get back to the parks roots while incorporating new uses. They want to encourage and promote neighborhood pride and support of the park as well. They have a list of following goals that you can help them reach, all of which can be found on their website:
- Build a Shed int he Park for Tools
- Build a Wetland Boardwalk with Educational Signs
- Have a Stroller Entrance at Miner and Union Street
- Get New Benches
- Label Different Trees Throughout the Park
- Map the Park
- Create a Lending Library
- Re-Turf Areas of the Park
- Repair Erosion
- Work with the Borough to Make Restroom Available to Residents
How You Can Help
Join Everhart Park in reaching their goals and mission. You can sign up to be an active member of the park, with one of the two memberships. The $20 membership, which is an active household membership, involves a commitment to help out at plant sales, park and trash clean ups, enlisting new members and few other responsibilities. Or, if you do not have the ability or time to volunteer in the active membership, you can chose to be a guilt-free household member for $50. To sign up for a membership, click here.
Friends of Everhart Parks also gives you the chance to attend different events throughout the year to help clean and maintain a beautiful place for you and your family.
This Spring, you can volunteer at their spring clean up or at their plant sale. All of these events help Friends of Everhart Park in their plans to make this park the best it can be for all of the residents of West Chester.
Events Coming Up
Coming up in the next few weeks, Everhart Park will be hosting two events and welcomes you to join:
- Saturday, April 22nd: you can come down from 9am-12om or 1pm-4pm for their annual Spring Clean Up. Have some fun while meeting new neighbors and making the park be as beautiful as it can be.
- Saturday, May 6th from 10am to 2pm: join Everhart Park in their annual perennial plant sale on the basketball court on Union St. Come get some plants for your garden and home at great prices. All of the money from that day goes to improving and maintaining Everhart Park, a win win for everyone!
For more information on these events and for events coming up in the fall and winter, click here.
Help the Friends of Everhart Park today. Volunteer, donate or buy a membership today! Check out their website for even more information and history on this beautiful piece of history right in the borough’s backyard.